Fighting the evil eye
Magic of Jewellery
Looking for something meaningful to do while the days shorten and the evenings grow dark…? I’ve got just the thing for you!
A series of prerecorded, short talks devoted to amulets, talismans and magic! Jewellery often doubles as protection. Materials, patterns and shapes are chosen for a reason. You will see magical books, understand the meaning of numbers and colours, learn how magical knowledge is passed on and to recognize many basic elements of protection. Ultimately, you will see what these hopes and fears incapsulated in jewellery tell us about the lives of the women who wore these pieces.
Grab it now
This series of talks is part of my full e-course on jewellery and is ordinarily not available separately. But as October is the unofficial month of magic…
I am opening Magic & Jewellery up for enrollment during the month of October only. And like so many magic tales, this offer vanishes into thin air on Halloween at midnight!
You will have access to the talks for an entire year: all talks are prerecorded and ready for you. You decide when and where to watch – you could be watching the first episode in just 10 minutes from now!
amulets and talismans
What will I learn?
You will get an understanding of how jewellery functions as protection. We will start out by exploring what magic actually is and I will introduce you to the world of the jinn. Next, we will see how jewellery doubles as amulet by picking apart its main aspects: colours, shapes and materials. Of course we will also delve into the magic of the written word, see how numbers carry meaning, and how both can be combined to form a powerful spell. Finally, I will show you how layered meaning builds upon all of these capacities, and what all of this tells us about the women that wore these jewellery items.
You will learn to read and appreciate the meaning of your jewellery!
Just a short note to congratulate you again for your great contribution by putting together the course on Silver. The first class was fantastic, with a wealth of information all put together very nicely… easy to follow and learn from. Being an Amazigh man, the Magic-class reminds me of several occasions where the subjects of this class were actually witnessed or even experienced.
All classes are researched, prepared and taught by Sigrid van Roode. I have been presenting classes, courses, workshops and jewellery talks for the better part of two decades now, and am the author of two books on jewellery from North Africa and the Middle East. My goal is to present academic level research in an accessible, fun and easy to follow style. I believe jewellery is not just adornment, but an important historic source that tells us so much about the lives of women – and I’ll be showing you in how many ways that works!
magic of jewellery
With this prerecorded lecture series, you will receive 8 full-colour e-books. These contain not only the course material, but also present you with book recommendations, online reading material and additional images. The e-books are yours to download and keep: your own magical library!
You will have access to our private online community on Facebook. Here, you will be able to get any questions answered and enjoy the world of jewellery with other course participants from around the globe – with as many angles, comparisons and personal stories to share!
This offer vanishes in
This class is definitely for you when:
- you are interested in jewellery and dress from North Africa and Southwest Asia, and in the many traditions and cultures of the region;
- you work with dress and adornment from the region as curator, designer, dancer, instructor or collector;
- you inherited jewellery and would like to learn more about its background;
- you have lived or are living in the region as an expat and would like to understand more about its history and culture;
- you are curious to look beyond your own culture or country;
- you care about jewellery and cherish jewellery items as the heritage pieces they are.
Discover the magic of jewellery!
- This will get you:
- > in-depth understanding of symbolism and meaning in jewellery from North Africa and Southwest Asia;
- > immediate access to the talks;
- > membership of our private Facebook-group;
- > one year of unlimited personal access to 8 prerecorded videos, totaling over 2 hours of beautiful visuals, including adornment from museums all over the world
- > 8 downloadable e-books that are yours to keep, with suggestions for further reading
- > and above all: a world of discovery!
- This offer is valid during the month of October only. Enrollment ends on October 31st!